Skip to navigation Skip to content

Policies A-Z


Academic Actions (Probation, Dismissal, Dean’s List)

The MU School of Health Professions Student Services Office is responsible for implementing university and school faculty policies for academic probation, dismissal and dean’s list. The rules for academic actions apply for the Fall and Spring semesters. All notifications for academic probation, continued probation, removal from probation and dean’s list are communicated via email.

Academic Probation
Academic probation is an academic deficiency that automatically applies any time a student’s GPA falls below 2.0 (cumulative or term GPA). Students on academic probation have two semesters following the first semester on probation to be moved to good standing, which requires a 2.0 term and cumulative MU GPA.

An academic program may have a more stringent academic policy that could place a student on academic probation for that particular degree program. This is not the same as the university academic probation policy, and while a student may be placed on academic probation for their specific degree program, it is not a university-wide probation status. Students should refer to their specific degree program academic policy manual, or speak with their academic adviser if they have questions about specific requirements.

Continued Academic Probation
When a student is placed on academic probation, they have two consecutive semesters to be removed from probation. If, after the first semester on academic probation, a student does not earn a 2.0 term and cumulative GPA, they are placed on continued academic probation. When a student is on continued academic probation, they have one semester to earn a 2.0 term and cumulative GPA, or they will be ineligible to re-enroll thereafter.

Ineligible to Re-enroll
A student may be considered ineligible to re-enroll if they meet one of the following conditions:

  • They are admitted to the University of Missouri on final probation and do not earn the required GPA to continue;
  • They have a term GPA less than 1.0;
  • They have had three consecutive semesters where the term and cumulative GPA are below 2.0;
  • They have successfully appealed the previous semester for re-enrollment and have not met the GPA requirement for continuation.
  • Students who are ineligible to re-enroll in the MU School of Health Professions will be given the opportunity to appeal. Appeals are not guaranteed approval, and advisors work with students to help them develop alternate plans.

A student who has been dismissed from the School of Health Professions is eligible to apply for re-enrollment one year after dismissal. For example, a student dismissed after the Spring 2015 semester is ineligible to enroll for Fall 2015. The student will be able to apply for re-enrollment for Fall 2016 with the following qualifications:

  1. The student enrolls in another institution and completes a minimum of 12 graded credit hours and earns a 3.0 or higher. The student must wait one academic year to reapply.
  2. The student waits one year and takes 6+ hours through the Visiting Student Program at the University of Missouri.

Dean’s List
Each school and college at the University of Missouri determines its own dean’s list eligibility for undergraduate students. To qualify for the dean’s list in the School of Health Professions, a student must earn a 3.3 GPA in a minimum of 12 graded (A-F) credit hours. Dean’s list honors only apply to Fall and Spring semesters. Students eligible for dean’s list will receive an email from the School of Health Professions.

Consortium Agreements (Dual Enrollment)

Students in the School of Health Professions at the University of Missouri are permitted to take classes at another post-secondary institution while enrolled in classes at Mizzou. The classes must transfer to MU and count towards the student’s degree. The credit hours will be added to their total MU enrollment.

Financial Aid Process for Consortium Agreements

  1. Download the Consortium Agreement
  2. Prior to completing the agreement:
    1. Verify the course will transfer with the Office of Admissions or the student’s academic adviser (if the transfer course equivalency is available in myZou, the academic adviser may sign the form at this point; if the equivalency is not available in myZou, Admissions must evaluate the course before the academic adviser will sign).
    2. Verify the course will count towards the degree with the academic adviser.
  3. Complete the agreement and obtain the required signatures; the completed Consortium Agreement should be returned to the MU Office of Student Financial Aid.
  4. A student must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours of courses at MU. Exceptions to this policy will be made on a case-by-case basis. The exception must be approved prior to completion of the agreement. Mizzou Online courses (both term and self-paced courses) will apply toward this requirement.
  5. Once enrollment with the institution of the non-MU courses has been confirmed, the MU Office of the University Registrar will add the credit hours to the student’s enrollment for the session.
  6. Financial aid is applied to the MU bill. If the bill is paid in full, excess funds are refunded. The refund can be used to satisfy the bill at the other institution the student is attending. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the institutions attended are paid.

Learn more about this procedure.

Course and Term Withdrawal

Course Withdrawal

If a student drops a course after the last day to drop a course without a grade (see Office of the University Registrar Academic Calendar), the process is referred to as withdrawing from a course.

Before a student withdraws from a course, they should consider any possible impacts on full-time status as well as eligibility and services offered through offices such as Cashiers, Student Financial Aid, Veterans Center, Residential Life, Athletics, International Center, and personal insurance carriers.

To withdraw from a course, a student must complete the following:

  1. Contact the course instructor to verify what grade will be assigned. Instructors will assign a grade of W (withdraw) or F (fail/unacceptable) based upon performance at the time the student withdraws from the course. The student will need to provide their academic advisor with documentation (paper or email) of the grade assigned by the instructor. The student should make a copy of the documentation to be able to refute any administrative error.
  2. Upon receiving a verification of their grade, the student must complete a course withdrawal form found here.
  3. An appointment must be made with an academic adviser through MU Connect to obtain approval and signatures. The student then submits the course withdrawal form to the Office of the University Registrar. The form must include all signatures to be accepted by the Office of the University Registrar. The course withdrawal is not complete until the Office of the University Registrar has processed the form.

Term Withdrawal

Dropping all classes in a term (Summer, Fall, Spring) is considered a term withdrawal. Students may not withdraw from all courses or their last course via myZou. A term withdrawal must be done through the student’s academic advisor. To complete a term withdrawal, a student must complete the following:

  1. Fill out a term withdrawal form found at An appointment must be made with an academic advisor through MU Connect to obtain approval and signatures.
  2. Submit the term withdrawal form to the Office of the University Registrar. The form must include all signatures to be accepted by the Office of the University Registrar. The term withdrawal is not complete until the Office of the University Registrar has processed the form.

Latin Honors

3.500-3.699 = cum laude
3.700-3.899 = magna cum laude
3.900-4.000 = summa cum laude

SHP Latin Honors are calculated using the final GPA of Record.

Parallel Planning

The School of Health Professions offers nine clinical programs as well as the non-clinical health science program. Academic programs in the health professions are competitive. Some programs are highly competitive, while some are less so. This is true for the clinical programs in the MU School of Health Professions, as well as health professions in other divisions at MU and other colleges and universities. Academic advisers in SHP will actively encourage students to engage in a process called parallel planning. Parallel planning acknowledges the reality of competitive health professions admissions processes by providing students the opportunity to have more than one plan for reaching their desired professional goal.

Examples of how a parallel plan process may look are:

  • Applying to the program of interest at MU, as well as other colleges and universities;
  • Declaring a major while pursuing application to an undergraduate program (such as, Clinical Laboratory Science, Occupational Therapy, Radiography, etc.). This ensures that a student may still graduate in four years, should they not get in. Many students reapply the following year and work on strengthening their application.
  • Considering other health professions. The health care industry is very large, continually evolving and there are a number of health professions that may have similar characteristics and patient contact as a student’s first choice. For example, a student who is pursuing physical therapy may find that chiropractic care may be as viable an option, or a student considering medical school may find pharmacy to be a great fit.
  • Academic advisors are always available to help students consider parallel plan options, as well as talk through the process. There are considerable resources online, through the SHP workshop series hosted by the Career Services office, through professors, and through use of the student’s personal network (family and family friends in health care can be a great resource!). Ultimately, there is no better way to learn about fit of a health profession than through shadowing and spending time in the professional setting.

Permission Numbers

Permission numbers are typically 5-6 digit codes that will grant a student admission into a course that is full, a course that has restrictions the student does not meet, or a course that requires consent. This information is typically found in the “enrollment information” and/or “class notes” for each class in myZou. To request a permission number a student will need to contact the instructor or department offering the course. Permission numbers are not guaranteed, so a student must keep this in mind when requesting one, in addition to being courteous and respectful in the communication. Once a permission number is obtained, a student will enter the 5-6 digit code in myZou during the enrollment process.

Pre-Registration Workshops

SHP requires that all new students attend a mandatory workshop before meeting with their academic advisor for early registration. These workshops are designed to help students make the most out of their advising appointment, as well as learn how to use MU resources that assist them in academic planning. Each student’s enrollment date/time is located in myZou on the right side of the page under the “Enrollment Dates” box. Students need to attend a pre-registration workshop prior to this enrollment date and time.

Professional Communication

University Email Communication

All enrolled students receive an email account where official University, including School of Health Professions, communication is sent. It is the student’s responsibility to regularly check and monitor this email account. The address book is fully integrated with the University’s Global Address List so that students have easy access to all faculty, staff and student University email addresses.

Communication from the student to any University staff/faculty should come from the University email account. Students have the ability to personalize their University email address.

Interpersonal Communication
When communicating with University staff and faculty, students are encouraged to remain professional and respectful. Here are some general guidelines to follow in effective, professional email communication:

  • A student should use their official University email account for all correspondence. Faculty and staff are more likely to open emails from reputable addresses.
  • Address instructors professionally: Dr., Professor, or Instructor. Avoid using first names or nicknames unless specifically requested to do so.
  • Include a descriptive subject: Health Science 3300: Question about a paper.
  • When inquiring about a specific course, include the course title and number.
  • Avoid urgent demands such as “ASAP” or “immediate response needed.”
  • Make the email clear and concise with focused and succinct questions.
  • Do not use emoticons or smileys. Avoid Facebook, text, and IM lingo and abbreviations (e.g. LOL, haha).
  • Proof-read. Check spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
  • End the message with an appropriate sign-off (e.g. “Best Wishes,” or “Regards,”), as well as the entire student name (no nicknames).


(adapted from:

Subject Line: Truman Tiger – CHEM 1320 – Missed Class

Dear Professor Smith,

I was unable to attend Chemistry class yesterday (Tuesday, August 30). I understand from a classmate that a handout regarding the next lab assignment was given out in class. Unfortunately, I have class during your scheduled office hours on Wednesday. Would you be available Thursday, September 1 so I can receive the lab assignment and ask for clarification on the material presented in class?

I appreciate your time and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
Truman Tiger
CHEM 1320 – MWF 11:00 am – 11:50 am

Communicating Class Absences
Students enrolled in the School of Health Professions are expected to attend classes regularly and may be dismissed for inattention to their academic responsibilities. A faculty member may use attendance, or lack of attendance, as a criterion in the determination of a course grade. School of Health Professions students are subject to University policy and procedures as stated in the M-Book.

Students are expected to communicate directly with their instructors if it is known that class will be missed, and it is expected that, when possible, such communication will occur prior to missing class. In situations where the student is unable to communicate with instructors directly (e.g., hospitalization, family emergency, etc.), they may contact the assigned academic advisor who can then notify the student’s instructors on their behalf. Students may be encouraged to provide documentation of the event for verification purposes where comfortable and appropriate, on the understanding that the documentation will be distributed to instructors only when necessary. Students are expected to reach out to their instructors as soon as they are able to determine how best to complete any assignments or exams that may have been missed. Permission to make up class work missed as a result of absence is granted at the discretion of the individual instructor.

Program Research

The field of health care is vast and the pathway to a specific profession may vary from student to student. In addition, program requirements (applications, pre-requisites, deadlines, observation/volunteer hours) can vary quite significantly from program to program. Therefore, it is important that students begin to research program requirements early and work with their academic advisor to ensure they remain on track. In the School of Health Professions, academic advisers are available to offer advice and guidance to students on their particular pathway.

Useful resources:

Once a student has researched the programs/pathways they wish to pursue, it is recommended that they schedule an appointment with their academic adviser via MU Connect. An adviser is able to collaboratively help the student to create a degree completion plan that includes all necessary coursework and to discuss application requirements based on the student’s research. As a student approaches their final year at the University of Missouri, the Student Services Office highly encourages visiting campuses where the student intends to apply.

Registration Eligibility Contracts

All students in the School of Health Professions with 60 or more credit hours are expected to have completed both English 1000 and Math 1100. If a student reaches or surpasses 60 credit hours without earning a C- grade or higher in English 1000 or Math 1100, they must file a Registration Eligibility Contract (REC) to register for the upcoming semester. The contract will list which course(s) remain and provide a timeline for completion. If the terms of the REC are not met, a student may be unable to continue enrolling through the School of Health Professions. If a student is required to file an REC, they will be contacted with instructions via email.

Revision of Records

The Committee for Revision of Records reviews petitions from students asking for changes to their academic records. This process should not be used for requesting a grade change. A student should discuss the petition process with their advisor before appealing to the committee to verify that changes are warranted and will benefit the student.

To begin the process for Revision of Records, a student should schedule an appointment with their academic advisor via MU Connect. For more information about general guidelines and student responsibilities review the full Revision of Records.


Students actively participating in the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) are required to complete a degree planning form, which is provided to the student by their ROTC program (Army, Navy, or Air Force). ROTC students are required to meet with their academic advisor in the School of Health Professions each semester to update the form to ensure ROTC, university, and degree requirements will be completed by the intended graduation date. It is the student’s responsibility to bring the form to the advising appointment and they are expected to complete as much of the form as possible prior to the advising appointment. Every semester of college coursework must be listed on the form, including transfer coursework. The student, academic advisor, and supervising officer all sign the form. The student will submit the form to their officer.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Scholarship Appeals

Federal regulations require the University of Missouri to establish, publish, and apply standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid eligibility. The purpose of measuring and enforcing these standards is to ensure financial aid recipients make progress toward graduation. The U.S. Department of Education establishes that reasonable standards must include qualitative (grade-based) and quantitative (time-based) components.

A student who fails to meet the SAP requirements is ineligible to receive financial aid, which can be reinstated in one of two ways: (1) the student becomes compliant with SAP requirements or (2) the student successfully appeals and is eligible for aid on a probationary status.

Satisfactory Academic Progress takes into consideration the cumulative official University of Missouri grade point average (GPA), the cumulative number of credits attempted and completed at the University of Missouri, and credits that have successfully transferred from any other postsecondary institution. Note: The financial aid SAP standards are not the same as the academic standards of the University or of any academic department. Financial aid SAP status does not prevent a student from enrolling in classes.

Academic progress of each financial aid recipient is reviewed annually after the Spring semester. A student who fails to meet the SAP criteria receives a notification with information regarding the opportunity to appeal for financial aid eligibility.

The appeal process requires a student to 1) create an academic plan with their academic advisor, 2) to write a narrative that addresses the reasons that contributed to loss of financial aid as well as steps planned for improvement, 3) to submit the required SAP or Scholarship appeal form, and 4) to include an academic profile (Scholarship Appeal only). The student is expected to schedule an appointment with their academic advisor for the purpose of developing and discussing the academic plan; if the student feels comfortable, they are encouraged to share their written narrative with their academic advisor prior to the meeting. In the case of a student wishing to change majors (either to transfer into or out of the School of Health Professions), they should work with an academic advisor for the major they wish to pursue. If the academic advisor feels that the student’s major choice is unrealistic, they may encourage the student to research different majors.

It is the student’s responsibility to follow SAP or Scholarship Appeal deadlines and to allow sufficient time to meet with their academic advisor. If changes are necessary to the academic plan (due to course availability, scheduling concerns, or similar), the academic advisor should be consulted to approve the changes. The student will then notify the Office of Financial Aid to seek final approval of the revised SAP or Scholarship appeal plan.

Self-Paced Coursework

During the Spring, Summer and Fall semesters, undergraduate students may not enroll in more than 6 semester hours of self-paced credit without prior approval given by the Office of Student Services through formal appeal.

Study Abroad Course Proposal Form

Students who wish to study abroad must complete a Course Proposal for Study Abroad. Before meeting with an academic adviser, students should meet with the International Admissions Office to have the proposed credits evaluated. Once this is completed, students will schedule an appointment with an academic adviser via MU Connect. The adviser will discuss how the courses evaluated will count toward degree requirements and then sign and date the proposal and provide a dean’s stamp. Students will then submit the completed proposal to the International Center.

Term Limit Overload

Fall/Spring Semester

Normal registration for undergraduate students during Fall and Spring semesters is 12-15 hours of credit. Students may not enroll in more than 18 semester hours of credit during the Fall and Spring semesters without prior approval by the Office of Student Services through formal appeal. This appeal process, including the Max Hours Appeal form required for the appeal, will be obtained and coordinated through a student’s academic adviser.

Summer Semester
Undergraduate students may not enroll in a course load of more than 9 semester hours of credit during the combined two 4-week sessions and/or the 8-week session without prior approval given by the Office of Student Services through formal appeal.

Transfer Guidelines

External Transfer (from outside of the University of Missouri)

A student wishing to transfer to the School of Health Professions at the University of Missouri from a non-University of Missouri System school must satisfy MU Admissions criteria and meet the following requirements:

  1. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (based on the program to which the student will apply; see chart below)
  2. A minimum 2.0 GPA in the most recent term/semester of coursework
  3. A C- in either English 1000 or Math 1100

Below are the cumulative GPA requirements for the School of Health Professions programs:

  • Health Science: 2.5 GPA
  • Pre-Athletic Training: 2.75 GPA
  • Pre-Communication Science and Disorders: 2.75 GPA
  • Pre-Clinical Laboratory Sciences: 2.5 GPA
  • Pre-Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound: 2.75 GPA
  • Pre-Nuclear Medicine: 2.5 GPA
  • Pre-Occupational Therapy: 3.0 GPA
  • Pre-Physical Therapy: 3.0 GPA
  • Pre-Radiography: 2.5 GPA
  • Pre-Respiratory Therapy: 2.5 GPA
  • Undeclared/Undecided HP: 2.5 GPA

A transfer student interested in declaring Pre-Health Professions (Pre-HP) should contact the Office of Student Services (573.882.8011) as soon as possible to discuss how their classes will transfer toward their intended program. A student with 60+ hours may be admitted as Pre-HP if they meet the same GPA requirements as those students with fewer than 60 hours, but will need to declare a major by the end of their first semester. (Pre-HP is not a major, but rather, an intention to apply to a professional program.)

A student with 60+ hours may be admitted as Undeclared-Health Professions (Undec-HP), but will need to declare a major by the end of their first semester.

All students must complete English 1000 and Math 1100 to meet graduation requirements in the School of Health Professions, regardless of completion of an AA degree from a Missouri community college.

Internal Transfer (from a different academic division at the University of Missouri)

Students currently enrolled at the University of Missouri may apply to transfer academic divisions to the School of Health Professions using the online Transfer of Division form. Students must meet the GPA and credit hour requirements for the program to which they wish to transfer and the appropriate plan and sub-plan must be selected in the online Transfer of Division form. The transfer requirements are outlined below.

Health Science

  • 2.0 cumulative, Mizzou, and most recent semester GPA
  • Students with more than 60 hours completed must file a graduation plan before the transfer will be approved

Pre-Health Professions, Athletic Training

  • 60 hours or less and 2.75 cumulative GPA

Pre-Health Professions, Clinical Lab Science

  • 60 hours or less and 2.5 cumulative GPA
  • 61 hours or more and 2.5 cumulative GPA, with secondary degree-granting program

Pre-Health Professions, Communication Science and Disorders

  • 60 hours or less and 2.75 cumulative GPA

Pre-Health Professions, Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound

  • 60 hours or less and 2.75 cumulative GPA

Pre-Health Professions, Nuclear Medicine

  • 60 hours or less and 2.5 cumulative GPA
  • 61 hours or more and 2.5 cumulative GPA, with secondary degree-granting program

Pre-Health Professions, Occupational Therapy

  • 60 hours or less and 3.0 cumulative GPA

Pre-Health Professions, Pharmacy

  • First semester at the University of Missouri

Pre-Health Professions, Physical Therapy

  • 60 hours or less and 3.0 cumulative GPA

Pre-Health Professions, Radiological Science

  • 60 hours or less and 2.5 cumulative GPA

Pre-Health Professions, Respiratory Therapy

  • 60 hours or less and 2.5 cumulative GPA

A student cannot transfer directly into the Athletic Training, Communication Science and Disorders, Clinical Laboratory Science, Nuclear Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Radiography, or Respiratory Therapy programs because students must apply to these professional programs in addition to applying to MU. Only those students who have been admitted to these professional programs can transfer directly to them. A student interested in pursuing admission to a professional program in the School of Health Professions may choose to transfer in as Pre-Health Professions. However, these Pre-Health Professions programs are not degree-granting. Therefore, it is important that the student transition out of the pre-Health Professions program once they reach a certain credit hour threshold or if they drop below the standard for application to the professional phase of the program.

There is a 30 hour residency requirement for the Bachelor in Heath Science. A student must complete their last 30 hours as a declared Health Science major.

Post-Baccalaureate Students
Post-Baccalaureate students (students who have already obtained a Bachelor’s degree) may remain Pre-Health Professions as long as they meet the sub-plan GPA requirements.

Transition Holds

A student who no longer meets the criteria for a Pre-Health Professions program will receive advance notification of the steps they must take by a specified deadline. If the student fails to take the necessary action, a “Transition Hold” will be placed on their myZou account. This hold will block all enrollment and registration activities. The hold can be removed by the student’s academic advisor in the School of Health Professions once the necessary requirements have been fulfilled.