Maria DietrichPhD, CCC-SLP
Director Vocal Control and Vocal Well-Being Lab (VOCOWELL)
FACULTY, HEALTH AND REHABILITATION SCIENCE
- Role of psychobiological factors in primary muscle tension dysphonia with an emphasis on psychological stress and personality
- Early detection of vocal dysfunction in occupational voice users
- Central control of vocalization and limbic-motor networks
- Functional neurologic disorders affecting voice
Certifications & Awards
- ASHA CCC-SLP
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Advancing Academic-Research
Careers (AARC) Award, 2014
- University of Missouri Top Faculty Achiever, 2017
- University of Missouri Lewis & Clark Discovery – Early Career Award, 2017
- David W. Brewer Award for Best Poster, Third Place, The Voice Foundation Annual Symposium Care of the Professional Voice, 2017
- Journal of Voice Best Paper Award: Basic Science, The Voice Foundation, 2019
- 1R15DC015335 – Classifying neck surface EMG signals for the early detection of vocal fatigue in student teachers
- 1R01DC018026 – Neurobiological and psychobiological signatures of vocal effort in early career teachers
- Dietrich, M., & Verdolini Abbott, K. (2008). Psychobiological framework of stress and voice: A psychobiological framework for studying psychological stress and its relation to voice disorders. In K. Izdebski (Ed.), Emotions in the human voice(Vol. II, pp. 159-178). San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
- Dietrich, M., Verdolini Abbott, K., Gartner-Schmidt, J., & Rosen C.A. (2008). The frequency of perceived stress, anxiety, and depression in patients with common pathologies affecting voice. Journal of Voice, 22(4), 472-488.
- Stemple, J.C., & Dietrich, M.(2011). For your vocal health: Keeping the mature voice healthy. Voice and Speech Review, 7(1), 280-286.
- McMullen, C.A., Butterfield, T.A., Dietrich, M., Andreatta, R.D., Andrade, F.H., Fry, L.T., & Stemple, J.C. (2011). Chronic stimulation-induced changes in the rodent thyroarytenoid muscle. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 54(3), 845-853.
- Dietrich, M., Andreatta, R.D., Jiang, Y., Joshi, A., & Stemple, J.C. (2012). Preliminary findings on the relation between the personality trait of stress reaction and the central neural control of human vocalization. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 14(4), 377-389.
- Dietrich, M., & Verdolini Abbott, K. (2012). Vocal function in introverts and extraverts during a psychological stress reactivity protocol. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 55(3), 973-987.
- Dietrich, M. & VerdoliniAbbott, K. (2014). Psychobiological stress reactivity and personality in persons with high and low stressor-induced extra laryngeal reactivity. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 57(6), 2076-2089.
- Smith, N.R., Rivera, L.A., Dietrich, M., Shyu, C.R., Page, M.P., & DeSouza, G.N. (2016). Detection of simulated vocal dysfunctions using complex sEMG patterns. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 20(3), 787-801. doi:10.1109/JBHI.2015.2490087
- Gao, Y., Dietrich, M.,Pfeiffer, M., & DeSouza, G.N. (2018). Classification of sEMG signals for the detection of vocal fatigue based on VFI scores. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS, 5014-5017. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2018.8513224
- Angadi, V., McMullen, C., Andreatta, R., Dietrich, M., Uhl, T., & Stemple, J. (2018). Biobehavioral measures of presbylaryngeus. Journal of Voice. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.11.005.
- Dietrich, M., Andreatta, R. D., Jiang, Y., & Stemple, J. C. (2019). Limbic and cortical control of phonation for speech in response to a public speech preparation stressor. Brain Imaging and Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s11682-019-00102-x
- Roy, N., Dietrich, M., Blomgren, M., Heller, A., Houtz, D., & Lee, J. (2019). Exploring the neural bases of primary muscle tension dysphonia: A case study using functional magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Voice, 33(2), 183-194. Best Paper Award: Basic Science
- Lee, J.M., Roy, N., & Dietrich, M.(2019). Personality, psychological factors, and behavioral tendencies in children with vocal nodules: A systematic review. Journal of Voice, 33(6), 945.e1-945.e18.
- Kuruvilla-Dugdale, M., Dietrich, M., McKinley, J., & Deroche, C. (accepted). An exploratory model of speech intelligibility for healthy aging based on phonatory and articulatory measures. Journal of Communication Disorders¶ These authors contributed equally to the manuscript.
- Misono, S., Dietrich, M., & Piccirillo, J.F. (2020). The puzzle of medically unexplained symptoms –A holistic view of the patient with laryngeal symptoms. JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. Published online April 30, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2020.0559