The MU Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences with the generous support of the Scottish Rite opened the Robert G. Combs Language Preschool. This clinical program serves children, ages 2 to 5 years, with speech and language difficulties. A state licensed, nationally certified speech-language pathologist supervises the clinical program. MU Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences seniors and graduate students participate in the program as clinicians-in-training and have clinical responsibilities commensurate with their stage of development and clinical knowledge. MU students participating in the program are under the direct supervision of clinical faculty with certification and state licensure in speech-language pathology. Given the intense speech and language focus of this program, a very low clinician to student ratio is maintained, typically approximating 1 clinician for every 1-2 students.
Parents/caregivers are expected to remain on-site while your child is in the Language Preschool. An observation area is available, as well as several waiting areas within the School of Health Professions.
We hope you will consider enrolling your child in one of these clinical programs if:
- …your child is 2-5 years of age and you have concerns about speech and language development. Treatment is in a group setting, providing a communication-rich environment to address speech and language needs. Areas of focus include improving vocabulary, length and complexity of utterances, speech intelligibility and emergent literacy skills. Some participants in this program receive additional, individual treatment through our department’s Speech and Hearing Clinic.
- The very low clinician to child ratio
- The communication and social skills focus of this clinical program, benefiting children with speech and language difficulties
- Scholarships available based on need
- Individual therapy also available
- Easy access: We are located in 124 Clark Hall at Providence and Rollins Roads
Download the Application Packet
Policy of Non-Discrimination
Faculty, students, and staff in the Robert G. Combs Language Preschool actively follow a policy of nondiscrimination in compliance with Federal civil rights laws. All can expect to be treated fairly and without regard to age, color, ethnicity, gender identity, handicap or disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, status as a parent or veteran, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law.
- Toddler Group (2-3 years old) meets on Tuesday/Thursday, 9am-11am
- Preschool Group (3-5 years old) meet on Monday/Wednesday, 9am-11am OR Tuesday/Thursday, 1pm-3pm
- Fall, Spring and Summer semesters
The Robert G. Combs Language Preschool is located on the first floor of Clark Hall on the University of Missouri campus.
View Google Map | (573) 882-8538
Fax Number: (573) 884-8686
For more information please contact
Greta Hull, MHS, CCC-SLP, Preschool Director
The Robert G. Combs Language Preschool was established and is supported by the Scottish Rite Masons of Columbia. The Scottish Rite supports speech and language clinics throughout the country that provide clinical services for children.