The mission of the MU Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences is to provide outstanding educational and research programs in the areas of language, speech, and hearing (including physiological, acoustic, perceptual, linguistic, cognitive, and social processes) and in the diagnosis and treatment of the spectrum of communication disorders.
Our professional training program is designed to develop thoughtful clinicians who can engage in creative and flexible problem-solving on the basis of their ability to find and understand relevant information, to critically evaluate information, to integrate information across content areas, and to communicate effectively in a variety of contexts.
The strategic plan currently in place helps ensure the continued excellence of the Department’s master’s program. The specific goals and objectives of the strategic plan are used to guide our department in maintaining our strengths and capitalizing on opportunities for continued growth. The key elements of the strategic plan are:
Teaching and Learning:
- Increasing emphasis on interprofessional education in didactic and clinical teaching
- Increasing SLHS faculty communication about course content across the curriculum
- Continuing to develop practices to support all students completing the MHS
- Increasing faculty participation in teaching excellence activities
- Increasing opportunities for students to explore research
- Increasing scholarly success of faculty members in terms of grant funding, scientific publications, and interdisciplinary collaborations
- Increasing national recognition of the department and faculty
Clinical Training and Community Service:
- Maintaining clinical excellence
- Expanding opportunities for clinical experiences
- Promoting professional development opportunities, recognition of excellence, and opportunities for faculty and staff engagement
- Promoting and supporting an environment of inclusion, equity and diversity within SLHS
Student Recruiting, Admission, & Retention:
- Attracting and retaining quality MHS students reflecting the diversity of our society
- Continuing to promote and pursue initiatives to support an environment valuing diversity, inclusivity, and the academic success of all students
Focusing on these key elements in recent years has already allowed the program to meet several short-range goals and will continue to guide the program toward our long-range goals. With this strategic plan in place, our MHS program continues to maintain its stature in higher education.
If you would like additional information regarding our strategic plan, please let us know. Our program welcomes feedback from all interested parties. Contact us with any comments, questions, or suggestions.
Dr. Maria Dietrich awarded $2.8 million to expand research
Congratulations to Maria Dietrich, Associate Professor of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences, who was awarded $2.8...