What can you do with a degree in public health?
The rising causes of morbidity and mortality from health issues including obesity, sexually transmitted diseases and an aging population have created a need for more field professionals. Completing a degree in public health opens multiple professional doors. Below are some examples of job settings and titles. You can find more information about public health careers by visiting the American Public Health Association Professional Development job board.
Public health job settings
- Advocacy Groups/Think tanks
- Colleges and Universities
- Consulting firms
- Crisis Centers
- Federal, state, and local government
- Hospital and Clinics
- Insurance Companies
- International Organizations
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Professional Associations
- Substance abuse centers and agencies
Jobs for bachelor's degree holders
The Bachelor of Health Science in Public Health prepares students for entry-level careers in the field of public health and graduate school programs*, such as MU’s Master of Public Health (MPH) program. Many of our students also find fulfilling work through the Peace Corps after graduation.
Careers in public health include:
- Certified Health Education Specialist
- Prevention and Community Health Educator
- Environmental Health Specialist
- USDA Inspector
- Wellness Coordinator
- Client/Patient Advocate
- Emergency Management Specialist
- Occupational Health and Safety Specialist
- Public Health Nursing
- Social and Community Service Manager
*Students should work with an academic adviser to create a plan of study to meet degree requirements and pre-requisites for graduate programs.
Jobs for master's degree holders
The Master of Public Health is the standard professional degree recognized throughout the world for public health practice. With an MPH degree, you may pursue a variety of career paths.
- Assistant Professor
- Community Assessor
- Emergency Watch Commander
- Health Economist
- Health Educator
- Health Scientist
- Injury Epidemiologist
- Outreach Specialist
- Policy Analyst
- Program Evaluator
- Research Analyst