Kristin Flynn PetersPhD, LCP
Associate Teaching Professor
- Associate Teaching Professor
- Co-Chair for the Council on Inclusive Excellence
- Post-Doctoral Training at Rush University, Department of Preventive Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2000
- Ph.D. – Northwestern University, Clinical Psychology Program on the Medical Campus, 1998
- Pre-Doctoral Internship in Clinical Psychology – Jesse Brown Veterans Administration Hospital, Chigago, IL, 1998
- B.A. – University of Pennsylvania in Psychology, Philadelphia, PA, 1989
- Certified Diversity FaciliTrainer (CDFT)
- Clinical Ethics
- Humanism and Health Literacy
- Impact of Bias, Prejudice and Discrimination in Health Care
- Powell, LH., Calvin, J.E., Richardson, D., Janssen, I., Mendes de Leon, C.F., Flynn, K.J., Grady, K.L, Rucker-Whitaker, C.S., Eaton, C., Avery, E. (2010). Self Management Counseling in Patients with Heart Failure: The Heart Failure Adherence and Retention Randomized Behavioral Trial. JAMA, 304 (12), 1331-1338.
- Jolly, M., Peters, K., Mikolaitis, R.A., Evans-Raoul, K., Cash, T.F., Block, J.A., (2011, November) Lupus and body image: an intervention that works. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Rheumatology/Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals, Chicago, IL.
- Powell, LH., Calvin, J.E., Mendes de Leon, C.F., Richardson, D., Grady, K.L, Rucker-Whitaker, C.S., Janssen, I., Flynn Peters, K.J., Kravitz, G., & Eaton, C. Impact of Patient Self-Management Skills Training on Death and Hospitalization in Patients with Heart Failure: Results from the Heart Failure Adherence and Retention Trial. Circulation 2007 November, Late-Breaking Clinical Trial Abstracts from the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions.
- Rucker-Whitaker, C., Flynn, K.J., Kravitz, G., Eaton, C., Calvin, J.E., & Powell, L.H. (2006). Understanding African American participation in a behavioral intervention: Results from focus groups. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 27 (3), 274-286.
- Flynn, K., Powell, L. Mendes de Leon, C., Muñoz, R., Eaton, C., Downs, D., Silver, M., & Calvin, J. (2005). Increasing self-management skills in heart failure patients: A pilot study. Congestive Heart Failure, 11, (6), 297-302.
- Flynn, K., Finley, C., Hinton, T., Boyd, F., Rosemon, N., Howard-Curry, L., Jones, P., & Fitzgibbon, M., (1999, April) A second look at the role of body image in motivating eating and exercise behaviors among African American women. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, New Orleans, LA.
- Flynn, Kristin J. & Fitzgibbon, Marian L. (1998). Body images and obesity risk among Black females: A review of the literature. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 20, (1), 13-24.
- Flynn, Kristin J. & Stolley, Melinda R. (1995, August). Body image ideals of African American and Hispanic females. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, New York.
- Flynn, Kristin J. & Fitzgibbon, Marian L. (1996). Body image ideals of low-income African American mothers and their pre-adolescent daughters. Journal of Youth & Adolescence, 25 (5), 615 – 630.