• Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology, University of Chicago, Dissertation: The Development of Context Effects in Spoken Word Recognition.
- Introduction to Communication Science and Disorders
- Introduction to Human Language
- Normal Language Acquisition
- Speech Perception
- Individual Differences in Language Acquisition
• Early language acquisition
• Lexical development
• Language acquisition in autistic children
• Goodman, J.C., Dale, P.S., & Li, P. (2008). Does frequency count? Parental input and the acquisition of vocabulary. Journal of Child Language, 35, 515 – 531.
• Goodman, J. C. & Sethuraman, N. (2006). Interactions in the development of constructions and the acquisition of word meanings. In E. V. Clark & B. F. Kelly (Eds.) Constructions in Acquisition. Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
• Dale, P. S., & Goodman, J. C. (2005). Commonality and individual differences in vocabulary growth. In M. Tomasello & D. I. Slobin (Eds.). Beyond Nature-Nurture: Essays in Honor of Elizabeth Bates. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
• Bates, E. & Goodman, J. C. (2001). On the inseparability of grammar and the lexicon: Evidence from acquisition, aphasia and real time processing. In M. Tomasello & E. Bates (Eds.) Language development: The essential readings. Malden, MA, US: Blackwell Publishers. (pp. 134 – 162) (Reprinted from Language and Cognitive Processes, (1997), 12, 507-586).
• Fenson, L., Bates, E., Dale, P., Goodman, J., Reznick, J. S., & Thal, D. (2000). Measuring variability in early child language: Don’t shoot the messenger. Child Development, 71, 323 – 328.
• Bates, E. & Goodman, J. C. (1999).On the emergence of grammar from the lexicon. In B. MacWhinney (Ed.), The emergence of language. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
• Goodman, J. C., McDonough, L. and Brown, N. (1998). The role of semantic context and memory in the acquisition of novel nouns. Child Development, 69, 1330-1344.
• Bates, E. & Goodman, J.C. (1997). On the inseperability of grammar and the lexicon: Evidence from acquisition, aphasia and real time processing. Language and Cognitive Processes, 12, 507 – 586.
• Marchman, V., Plunkett, K., and Goodman, J.C. (1997). Overregularization in English plural and past tense inflectional morphology: A response to Marcus (1995). Journal of Child Language., 24, 767-779.
• Thal, D., Bates, E., Goodman, J. & Jahn-Samilo, J. (1997). Early identification of language delay using parental report. In D. Thal & J. Reilly, (Eds.) Special issue on Origins of Communication Disorders. Developmental Neuropsychology , 13, 239-273.
• Goodman, J. C., Lee, L., and de Groot, J. (1994) Developing theories of speech perception: Constraints from developmental data. In J. C. Goodman and H. C. Nusbaum (Eds.) The Development of Speech Perception: Transitions from Speech Sounds to Spoken Words. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
• Goodman, J. C. and Nusbaum, H. C. (Eds.). (1994). The Development of Speech Perception: Transitions from Speech Sounds to Spoken Words. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.