• Introduction to the Research Process and Evidence Base Health Care in the United States
• Post Doc – Rice University, Department of Sociology
• PhD – Sociology and Demography, The Pennsylvania State University
• MA – Sociology and Demography, The Pennsylvania State University
• BA – BA, Sociology and Geography, The University of Texas at Austin
• Altman, Claire E., Jennifer Van Hook, and Marianne Hillemeier. “What does self-rated health mean? Changes and variations in the association of obesity with objective and subjective components of self-rated health.” Forthcoming in Journal of Health and Social Behavior.
• Altman, Claire E., Jennifer Van Hook, and Jonathan Gonzalez. “Becoming Overweight without Gaining a Pound: The Social Integration of Mexican Americans and Shifts in Weight Perceptions.” Forthcoming in International Migration Review.
• Heckert, Jessica, Sandra Boatemaa, and Claire E. Altman. 2015. “Migrant Youth’s Emerging Dietary Patterns in Haiti: The Role of Peer-Social Engagement.” Public Health Nutrition 18(7): 1262-1271.
• Baker, Elizabeth H. and Claire E. Altman. 2015. “Maternal Ratings of Child Health and Child Obesity, Variations by Mother’s Race/Ethnicity and Nativity.” Maternal and Child Health Journal 19:1000-1009.
• Van Hook, Jennifer and Claire E. Altman. 2013. “Using Discrete-time Event History Fertility Models to Generate Predicted Total Fertility Rates and Other Fertility Measures.” Population Research and Policy Review 32: 585-610.
• Van Hook, Jennifer, Claire E. Altman, and Kelly Stamper Balistreri. 2013. “Global Patterns in Overweight Among Children and Mothers in Less Developed Countries.” Public Health Nutrition 16(4): 573-581.
• Van Hook, Jennifer, Elizabeth Baker, Claire E. Altman, and Michelle Frisco. 2012. “Canaries in a Coalmine: Immigration and Obesity among Mexican-origin Children.” Social Science & Medicine 74(2): 125-134.
• Van Hook, Jennifer and Claire E. Altman. 2012. “Competitive Food Sales in Schools and Childhood Obesity: A Longitudinal Study.” Sociology of Education 85(1): 23-39.
*Research appeared in many major U.S. and international news outlets including: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Fox News, Huffington Post, WebMD, ABC News, Discovery News, London Free Press, Globe and Mail, French Tribune, Times of India