To do an internship you must:
• Be a junior or senior
• Complete HLTH SCI 2100
• Attend a mandatory internship meeting the semester before you intend to start your internship (distance learners complete an online quiz)
Students will enroll in HLTH SCI 4975 which accompanies the internship. This course is through Mizzou Online.
HLTH SCI 4975 is designed to provide students interested in careers in the health sciences with the opportunity to understand and learn how to develop important professional skills (i.e., competencies). Students will be involved in service learning or internship experiences that will provide opportunities for professional development. These activities will allow the student to practice skills (professional competencies) that are representative of attributes needed to perform successfully in a health sciences career or to be successful in a graduate program. Professional competencies include the global set of leadership skills that influence success in professional careers or graduate school. Thus, the goal with this capstone course is to help students learn how to develop professional competencies that will help them secure a job following graduation and transition from being a student to a professional or graduate student.
To find more information on your mandatory Health Sciences Internship, please go to your Canvas page and click on the Career Services, School of Health Professions Organization. From there, you can click on the Internships tab and find the Internship Step-By-Step. This walks you through everything that needs to be done prior to your internship.
Sample Internships in Health Sciences:
- Cedar Creek Therapeutic Riding Center
- MU Adaptive Gymnastics
- MU Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders – Leaps Ahead Program
- Mizzou Therapy Services
- Wonderland Camp
Health & Wellness
- Lutheran Family & Children’s Services of Missouri-Columbia – Case Management
- WELLAWARE, Boone Hospital Center – Health Promotion, Physical Fitness, Nutrition
- Columbia/Boone County Public Health & Human Services – Fit WIC, Fit-Tastic
- Safe Kids Columbia
- Camp Jumpstart
Leadership | Policy
- RehabCare (St. Louis) – Health Administration Program Director
- RehabCare (St. Louis) – Health Consultant, Strategic Planning & Clinical Analysis
- Health Literacy Missouri
- Institute for People, Place, and Possibility – Public Health Communication/Health Data
- Missouri Telehealth Network – Project ECHO
- Healthy for Life: T.E. Atkins Wellness Program
- MedZou Community Health Center
SHP Career Services-Luke Gorham, Career Services Coordinator
To make an appointment with Senior Student Services Coordinator Emily Mahler, please visit MU Connect via Blackboard!
Two Undergraduate Students Present Their Research
Each year undergraduate students are invited to apply to present their research abstracts on a variety...