Provide timely diagnostic assessments on children 3 years of age and younger (< 36 months) who present with the concern of autism.
- Early interventions for children with autism have a proven benefit.
- Timely assessment may help children have access to these services at a younger age
- Provide families timely information about their child’s development so that families can move forward with early interventions.
- Objective, documented, reliable information about a child’s development at onset into services provides a foundation for future outcome research.
Clinic Entry Requirements
- Positive screen for autism (see Autism Screening Protocol)
- < 3 years of age (36 months)
- No prior ASD diagnosis
A Psychologist will perform:
- Clinical interview
- Developmental test (to validate use of ADOS) and identify possible delays in language, cognition, and/or motor functioning
- Interpretation of behavior, adaptive, and other measures
Referrals and Resources
- Families will be provided a summary letter of results on the day of the appointment.
- The complete report will be sent in the mail within 3 weeks to the family and the referring physician.
- For children who do meet criteria for a diagnosis of autism they will be referred to the care coordination program here at the Thompson Center.
- The family should expect a call within two weeks.
- The Thompson center may be able to help link the family to valuable resources in the family’s community.
- Most children will qualify for school-based services.
- For children with a diagnosis of autism, the family will be referred to the Autism Medical Clinic establish long-term medical specialty care, to monitor development, and to assure that services over time are appropriate.
Making a Referral
205 Portland Street
Columbia, MO 65211