Provide a comprehensive and multi-disciplinary assessment of children or youth (18 months to 21 years of age) who present with complex medical or developmental concerns to provide diagnostic differentiation and advanced treatment planning.
- Complex cases may require multiple professionals.
- Allows for more comprehensive testing across several domains (e.g., OT, Psychology, S/L)
- Allows for diagnostic differentiation in complex cases
- Professionals from specific disciplines can provide more targeted and comprehensive recommendations that have a better chance of being adhered.
Clinic Entry Requirements
- 18 months to 21 years of age
- Completed history form
- If the referral comes from an ASD diagnostic clinic (e.g., Toddler Clinic, ADEC): did not screen positive for an ASD (see Autism Screening Protocol)
- If there is a referral question of Autism + negative screen for ASD = CAT-A clinic
- If there is no referral question of Autism = CAT-N clinic
- Provides cognitive testing
- Provides behavioral testing (e.g., possibly ADOS)
- formal assessment
- Occupational Therapist
- formal assessment
- Staff together
- 4 hour visit
Referrals and Resources
- Family provided with preliminary verbal information on the day of appointment followed up with a phone call when results are finalized.
- The complete report will be sent in the mail within 4 weeks to the family and the referring physician.
- For children who do meet criteria for a diagnosis of autism they will be referred to the care coordination program here at the Thompson Center.
- The family should expect a call within two weeks following finalization of the report.
- The Thompson Center may be able to help link the family to valuable resources in the family’s community.
- Most children will qualify for school-based services.
- The team will refer for other appropriate evaluations (e.g., medical evaluation).
Making a Referral
205 Portland Street
Columbia, MO 65211