Provides neuropsychological (cognitive and psychological) assessment for children and youth with a confirmed diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The results include a cognitive strength/weakness profile and specific treatment recommendations for medical, educational, vocational (age dependent), and social functioning.
- Autism is often associated with a complex and idiosyncratic cognitive profile of strengths and weaknesses. Autism is frequently associated with various comorbid conditions of neurological influence (e.g., seizures, genetic conditions).
- This evaluation can help to pinpoint specific learning strategies for school and life transitions, as well as specific interventions for social, communication, emotional, and behavioral functioning.
- Treatment recommendations are aimed at maximizing functioning and minimizing distress.
Clinic Entry Requirements
- Infants to 21
- Has a confirmed diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Patient can tolerate and would benefit from an in-depth assessment of their learning skills (problem solving, attention, executive functioning, memory).
- Exclusion criteria: Patient not more effectively served through other clinics (LD/Cog, ADHD).
- Neuropsychologist is lead clinician
- Services provided include:
- A 4 hour visit (max) where a clinical interview, neuropsychological and psychological testing are conducted.
- An in-person feedback session, two weeks later, is provided for a detailed explanation of test results, diagnoses, and treatment recommendations. Youth, generally age 8 and up, are invited (at caregiver’s discretion including patient’s potential to benefit) for a strength-based feedback. In lieu of in-person sessions, feedback sessions are provided via phone upon request.
- Consultation with school districts is available to assist with continuity of care in translating the neuropsychological evaluation into real-world application.
- A formal report will be mailed within 3 weeks to the family and referring physician.
Making a Referral
205 Portland Street
Columbia, MO 65211