Director of Swallowing and Communication Physiology Exploration (SCoPE) Lab
Research at a glance
Dr. Knollhoff's research focuses on cancer-related swallowing and communication deficits.
- Doctor of Philosophy – Speech-Language Pathology, University of Kansas
- Master of Arts – Speech-Language Pathology, University of Kansas
- Bachelor of Science – Communication Sciences and Disorders, Saint Louis University
Graduate classes taught
- SLHS 8001 – Seminar in Medical Speech-Language Pathology
- SLHS 8225 – Voice Science and Voice Disorders
- SLHS 8230 – Dysphagia
My research focuses on cancer-related swallowing and communication deficits. I also strive to improve access and resources for current and future professionals to support individuals with swallowing disorders.
- Cancer related communication, swallowing, and feeding
- Dysphagia education for current and future professionals
- Knollhoff, S. M., Hancock, A. S., Barrett, T. S., & Gillam, R. B. (2022). Cortical Activation of Swallowing Using fNIRS: A Proof of Concept Study with Healthy Adults. Dysphagia, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-021-10403-3
- Knollhoff, S. M., Borrie, S. A., Barrett, T. S., & Searl, J. P. (2021). Listener impressions of alaryngeal communication modalities. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 23(5), 540-547. DOI: 10.1080/17549507.2020.1849400
- Knollhoff, S. and Searl, J. (2019). Adherence to a dysphagia exercise program by oropharyngeal cancer survivors. Spotlight on Exploratory Research in Health. DOI: 10.35831/sor.erh.07052019sk
- Knollhoff, S. (2019). Dysphagia. In Gillam & Marquardt (Eds.), Communication Sciences and Disorders: From Science to Clinical Practice, Fourth Edition.
- Searl, J. and Knollhoff, S. (2019). Articulation contact pressures scaled to the physiologic range of the tongue in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: A pilot study. Journal of Communication Disorders, 82. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcomdis.2019.105937
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Special Interest Groups of ASHA: SIG 13 Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (Dysphagia)]
- Dysphagia Research Society
- Missouri Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association – Certified
- Missouri State Board of Healing Arts, Speech-Language Pathology – Licensed