Applicants must complete Department of Clinical & Diagnostic Sciences (CDS) Department Forms and Ultrasound Program Application Materials provided at the links below. All materials must be received by the Ultrasound Admissions Committee on or before Feb. 1. Prospective applicants should download the Department Forms and Program Application Materials and read them in their entirety.
Candidates applying to the DMU program must have completed or be in the process of completing appropriate prerequisite credits for the MU-DMU program (see program application materials) . A maximum of two outstanding math or science courses can be taken during the semester of application (includes Algebra, Human Anatomy, Elements of Physiology, Chemistry, Physics & Statistics.)
Any student interested in applying to the DMU program should seek advisement with a CDS advisor, as soon as possible to assure that all general education and prerequisite courses including the criteria for application have been completed.
Previously granted degree(s) and/or prerequisite course work may be completed at any regionally accredited university, college or community college if appropriate courses are available. Contact the Health Professions Student Services Office at 573-882-8011 to make sure any course that you have taken or will take off campus is transferable and meets our requirements for the DMU program. Prerequisite courses should be completed before beginning the DMU program for the term of application.
Students with questions about the Ultrasound program or profession may request a meeting with program director Alice Townsend. Students with questions about the application process should contact Student Support Specialist Adria Koehn.
Student policy and/or student handbook can be obtained by contacting Professor Townsend.
How to apply
Applicants must complete Department of Clinical & Diagnostic Sciences (CDS) forms and the Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound Program application materials. Submit as attachments in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials must be received by the Admissions Committee on or before Feb. 1.
Required application materials
It is highly recommended to meet with an advisor prior to submitting an application to the program.
Download all application documents to your local drive. Complete the forms, save the forms to your local drive and submit as instructed. Keep a copy of all submitted forms!
- Download the CDS Undergraduate Application. Complete the application form using your computer. Do not send a scanned copy. Digital & electronic signatures are accepted.
- Download the CDS Clinical Immunizations Authorization Form. Compile your health history data to help you fill out the Clinical Immunizations Authorization Form. This is not a list of things for you to complete before the application due date. We only need to know your current status.
- Clinical Immunizations Authorization Form Supporting Materials. Submit a copy, screenshot or scan of your health record used to complete the Clinical Immunizations Authorization form. We do not need original forms.
Program application materials
- Download the DMU Application Checklist and Program Information to your device. This will include
- The DMU Applicant Check Off Sheet for tracking
- Admission criteria
- Ultrasound observation hours in the clinical setting or MU DMU lab are completed during the required DMU 1000 course. If you would like to complete these observation hours prior to enrolling in DMU 1000 you may request observation forms from Alice Townsend.
- Letter of Intent instructions
- Create a letter to support your application materials following the information listed in the Letter of Admissions Committee Instructions. This should be submitted in a Word, text or PDF file. We are unable to view Mac .pages files.
- DMU Academic Course List
- Complete this with all courses you have already taken, are currently taking and plan to take to complete the required courses
- Minimum Technical Standards
- Read the standards required for the profession and sign at the bottom of the form where requested
- MU DMU Program Information contains basic information regarding the program and what will be required of all accepted students
- Sign at the bottom to confirm you understand what is required of each student
- Application Fee. Submit the $40.00 Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound Program application fee by cash, check or money order.
- Check or money order should be made out to University of Missouri
- Cash must be exact change. Do not send cash via mail; make an appointment by emailing email@example.com to drop off during regular business hours
- Credit or debit card payments may be made via Touchnet
- Submit your completed and signed application materials by attaching in an email and sending to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CDS Undergraduate Application
- CDS Immunization Authorization Form
- CDS Immunization Authorization Form supporting materials
- Letter of Intent
- DMU Academic Course List
- Minimal Technical Standards
- MU DMU Program Information
All application materials are due to the no later than Feb. 1. Applicants may contact the office to verify receipt of any materials at any time by emailing email@example.com.
Applicants to the DMU program must be physically capable of holding extended arm positions and prolonged application of pressure during ultrasound procedures. There should be no history of neck, arm, back or leg trauma that may prevent performing typical duties such as pushing and pulling ultrasound machines, assisting with patient care that may entail bending over and lifting patients in and out of wheelchairs and beds, as well as moving furniture in and out of patient rooms in order to perform ultrasound exams on the patient in the hospital room.
The applicant must have sufficient hearing and vision to assess audible and visual Doppler accurately. Applicants must be able to speak articulate English to effectively communicate with patients, including children and the elderly population, as well as with doctors and hospital personnel.
Detailed Technical Requirements are found in the DMU Application Checklist and Program Information document.
Criminal background check
The majority of your fieldwork placements will require the completion of a criminal background check. Depending on the specific placement this may also include a fingerprint check and clearance from the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services . An undesirable report could affect a student’s placement in a clinical site. If student is unable to be placed the student will not be able to complete the course and therefore would be withdrawn from the major.
Fieldwork placement may also require government issued identification for vetting purposes. Students will need to have a United States issued Social Security Number (SSN).
- Students who have a valid social security number but do not have their government issued social security card will need to get a replacement through the Social Security Administration.
- International students will need to obtain a social security number. Information about identification documents.
High school seniors and first-semester MU freshmen may be eligible to apply for early admission to the Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound program.
The University of Missouri’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all aspects of educational programs and activities.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
We expect international students to know English well enough to:
• Comprehend oral lectures
• Participate in discussions
• Read textbooks with full comprehension
• Write effectively in English
The minimum TOEFL score for the Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound Program is 100 in the new scoring model. This is equivalent to a paper-based score of 600.