Find out what steps you can take each year to prepare for graduate school or the career search, and how you can utilize the Health Professions Office of Career Services along the way.
First Year: Explore
- Explore different majors and careers to develop your primary and parallel plan.
- Focus on your schoolwork, and use resources like the Student Success Center and Writing Center to maintain a high GPA.
- Get involved! It is important to begin getting involved, whether in a student organization, volunteering, or another activity. Do not feel like it must be health related – just find something you are interested and enjoy.
- Second semester, begin to develop your resume and get it reviewed by a SHP career advisor. You can set up an appointment with SHP career services office through MUConnect.
- Register on HireMizzouTigers and upload your resume. This allows you to browse part-time jobs and internships.
- Attend some SHP Career Services workshops and events.
Second Year: Develop
- Build relationships with professors and supervisors who may be able to write recommendation letters for a professional program or job. Visiting professor office hours is a great way to do this!
- Create a LinkedIn account to build a professional network and connect with companies and organizations you are interested in.
- As you continue to develop your career plan, use parallel planning to create an additional plan to explore other options.
- Attend a SHP Career and Opportunities Fair to practice interacting with and building relationships with employers, as well as explore various careers and volunteer opportunities.
- If interested in applying to graduate school, look at the application and admissions process for various programs. Meet with your advisor, begin to ask questions, and begin to develop a course plan.
- Observe careers in a variety of settings to find out what you are interested in. Unsure how to set up shadowing? Visit the SHP Career Services Office and we can help.
- Check HireMizzouTigers.com to search for part-time job. Consider positions that will contribute to your future career.
- If a cover letter and resume are required, utilize SHP Career Services to create a professional and effective document.
- Continue to get involved! It is important to begin getting involved, whether in a student organization, volunteering, or another activity. Do not feel like it must be health related – just find something you are interested and enjoy.
- Continue to focus on your schoolwork, and use resources like the Student Success Center and Writing Center to maintain a high GPA.
- Continue to observe various professionals in health care settings to explore career paths.
- Attend SHP Career Services workshops and events that are relevant or interesting to you.
Third Year: Focus
- See steps and suggestions above to continue to maintain good grades, get involved, and develop professionally.
- Seek out leadership opportunities within organizations you are involved in.
- Executive board, chair, ambassador, and other positions will look excellent on your resume. However, employers and schools can tell when you just join organizations to bulk up your resume – they value depth over breadth – find one or two things you are passionate about to be more involved in.
- Maintain your LinkedIn account by adding individuals you work with through volunteering, shadowing, and work experience in order to build your professional network and gather references.
- Attend the SHP Career & Opportunities Fair and introduce yourself to potential employers to familiarize yourself with companies and employers.
- If you plan on applying for graduate school:
- Begin researching schools you are interested in that have your desired program. Make a list of the requirements for each program application and begin making a plan to complete them. (coursework, standardized tests, letters of recommendation, etc.)
- Familiarize yourself with the application process.
- Plan and prepare to take any required admissions test (GRE, GMAT, MCAT). The summer before applying to graduate school is usually a good time to take the exam. Know what schools you want to send your scores to.
- Begin searching for internships for HS 4975. After meeting with SHP Internship Advisor, Emily Mahler, feel free to set up an appointment through MUConnect and visit SHP Career Services to explore other internship possibilities.
Fourth Year: Prepare
- Make appointments with the SHP Career Services Office throughout the year through MUConnect. Utilize these meetings to:
- Enhance your resume
- Explore jobs
- Prepare for the Career Fair
- Work on graduate applications, including writing personal statements
- Practice interviewing and learn tips.
- For HS 4975, choose an internship that you are interested in – many internships may turn into job opportunities down the road.
- Utilize the SHP Career Services Office when applying to internships. We can help in the internship search, and preparing a resume and cover letter. Make an appointment through MUConnect.
- Be sure to attend the mandatory informational internship session the semester before you complete your internship, and visit with Emily Mahler, SHP Internship Advisor to discuss your internship.
- Attend the career fair each semester with copies of your resume. Research the companies attending that you are interested, and meet with them to learn more about what positions are available and how you can apply.
- Attend workshops and events put on by the SHP Office of Career Services to learn more about graduate programs and employers.
- Begin the job search months prior to graduation. Utilize your network, frequently check HireMizzouTigers.com, and visit SHP Career Services Office to explore job opportunities and careers.
- If you plan on applying for graduate school:
- Decide which schools you will be applying for.
- Review your list of possible graduate programs and create a plan for applying.
- Be sure to request letters of recommendation early to give people plenty of time to write. Also, request transcripts to be sent to schools early in the process to be sure they are received on time.
- Make an appointment for a mock interview at the SHP career services office, as well as an appointment to go over application materials.