Maddie Douglass

Major: Bachelor of Science in Public Health
Minor in Public Service & Leadership

Hometown: Bloomington, IL

Q: How would you define Public Health in your own terms?

A: I would define public health as helping entire communities of people become healthier mentally, emotionally, and physically. It focuses a lot on social justice issues and making sure everyone has the resources available to them to be the healthiest they can be.

Q: How did you become interested in Public Health? Was there a specific person or event that sparked your interest?

A: I became interested in public health work after reading the book Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. The book is about an anthropology-focused doctor who started many health clinics and public health programs in a rural village Haiti. It showed me the importance and need of focusing on the health of a population in order to help its members.

Q: What is your ultimate career goal?

A: I would like to move to a third-world country and do public health work there.

Q: Tell me about your job at the Disability Center.

A: I have been at the Disability Center for one year, as an Office Assistant. I really enjoy interacting with students on campus and helping them achieve their goals.

Q: Why did you choose the University of Missouri to continue your academic career?

A: I chose to come to the University of Missouri to continue my academic career because I knew that there were many programs, opportunities, and resources that would be available to me in order to grow in my knowledge and understanding of public health.

Q: Tell me about your goal to solve health disparities and how this degree program will help you accomplish it.

A: My goal is to solve health disparities among poor and vulnerable populations globally, and using journalism and communication to tell their stories and mobilize resources. Getting my bachelor’s degree in public health will help me better understand how I can educate the public on what health needs these populations have, and what they can do to be a part of the solution to reducing these disparities. I wouldn’t be able to start my career doing public health work without the knowledge I will gain from this program!

Q: What advice would you give to other students considering a degree in Public Health?

A: I would tell other students to ask yourself, “What problem do I want to solve?” instead of “What career do I want to have?”