Sherrie Thomas, DrPH, MPH, MCHES

Assistant Teaching Professor, Department of Health Sciences, BHS in Public Health Program  

Fun facts:

• Dog lover and pup-mom to Maggie, Truman, and Gennie.
  • Dressed as the mascot in high school (Tigers!).

What role did you have at your prior institution? 

Prior to joining SHP, I was at the University of Texas Health Science Center. I was a Research Associate and Curriculum Development Specialist for a large NIH-funded (National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities) cardiovascular disease prevention project on the US/Mexico Border.  I was responsible for the intervention development and implementation in a high-risk Hispanic community.  The program included culturally-competent lifestyle modification and environmental restructuring, and we were thrilled to find significant improvements in clinical measurements and health behaviors at follow-up.  During that time, I also enjoyed teaching community health classes at Park University on the Fort Bliss Army Base in El Paso, Texas, where my students were military service members as well as civilians seeking an undergraduate degree.  We’re a military family, so it was a distinct opportunity for me to give back.

What attracted you to Mizzou and SHP? 

I knew Mizzou has a robust Health Sciences department, and I was very interested in contributing to the new undergraduate public health program.  My husband also works in Sports Medicine at the Missouri Orthopedic Institute, so it was a win-win!  We are both thrilled with the new experiences we’re having here.

What will your role be at SHP? 

I’m an Assistant Teaching Professor at the SHP, and a core faculty member for the new Bachelor of Health Science in Public Health program.  This is an exciting new program that many universities do not yet offer, and for me- it’s a unique opportunity to help future public health leaders begin to cultivate their interests and skills earlier in their careers- at the undergraduate level.  When I’m not teaching, my other role at the SHP will be helping to advance the BPH program and develop new course offerings.

What are you most looking forward to in your new role? 

I’m very excited to watch my students progress through the program as they develop their public health knowledge and skills.  I’ve been extremely impressed to learn about their varied interests in public health including health care access, women’s reproductive health, climate change and renewable energy development, eliminating food deserts, and infrastructure development in developing countries. Their motivations for pursuing a career in this field are inspiring, and I’m really looking forward to helping them pursue their goals.  The world truly needs them.

Find more information on the SHP BHS in Public Health Program.