SHP Commitment to Inclusivity
The School of Health Professions (SHP) cares deeply about the effects of the social and cultural climate on every person’s ability to live, work, study, innovate, serve and thrive on this campus. At SHP, we welcome and strive to foster an inclusive and diverse community of people and cultures. Therefore, SHP is committed to:
- Improving the health and well-being of all people;
- Creating an inclusive health care workforce as diverse as the populations we serve;
- Empowering students, faculty, staff, and alumni to create healthier inclusive communities.
As health professionals, it is our duty to respect and uphold the individual dignity of each person receiving our care and attention, without exception. SHP students leave our school and become health care providers for a diverse population. They will take an oath to care for others in need without bias. All students, faculty, and staff of SHP deserve and are called to contribute to an educational experience and a workplace that holds the same promise.
Programming and Resources
Programming will be listed on this page as well as in the Diversity and Inclusion Corner of the SHP Newsletter.
Additional 2019 programming TBA
TRAVELING Diversity Library
Department of Communication Science and Disorder is currently hosting the library in room 314 Lewis Hall.
The TRAVELING Diversity Library is open to all faculty and staff to engage in various topics including age, cultural competency, disability, ethnicity, family role and structure, gender, health, nationality, politics, race, regionality, religion, and socio-economic status. Check out the library contents HERE.
Other Mizzou Resources
For questions, suggestions, or concerns contact the SHP
Diversity & Inclusion Graduate and Research Assistant
Sarah L. Hairston
Office Hours: M, W, & F from 10 am – 3 pm
2017-2018 Diversity and Inclusion Activity:
- Fall Welcome Event – “Diversity Walk” hosted by the Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion.
- Formation of the SHP Student Advisory Committee on Diversity & Inclusion to provide a student perspective.
- Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion hosted six Coffee Talks for faculty and staff on racial literacy and leading difficult dialogues.
- Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion held two Systems Thinking sessions to narrow focus on SHP diversity and inclusion work.
- The Hate U Give book discussion for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- Microaggressions workshop for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Segregation Mythbuster podcast discussion for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- PUSHOUT book discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- HARVEST OF EMPIRE movie discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Hosted a Traveling Diversity Library move to CDS.
- Hosted five Coffee Talks for faculty and staff on diversity and inclusion topics.
- Hosted a Lunch-n-Learn for faculty and staff on holistic admissions.
- Career Services and Advancement hosted a Student and Alumni event titled “Conversations with Black Healthcare Professionals”
- Developed an Inclusive Excellence plan.
- Central Park Five movie discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- EVICTED book discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- Hosted a Traveling Diversity Library move to OT and PT.
- Celebrated the first SHP Diversity and Inclusion Week.
- Every faculty member was invited to join the Diversity across the Curriculum canvas site for continuing education.
- Developed websites and a newsletter to promote diversity & inclusion at SHP.
- The Office of Inclusion, Diversity & Equity matched funds from the Dean’s Office to hire a graduate research student devoted to improving inclusion and diversity at SHP.
- Unveiled the new SHP Traveling Diversity Library which contains books and movies for the continuing education of faculty and staff.
See SHP’s Diversity & Inclusion Audit for previous actions.
Jay Fluchel in many ways was the typical college student: involved in both greek life and...