SHP Commitment to Inclusivity
The School of Health Professions (SHP) cares deeply about the effects of the social and cultural climate on every person’s ability to live, work, study, innovate, serve and thrive on this campus. At SHP, we welcome and strive to foster an inclusive and diverse community of people and cultures. Therefore, SHP is committed to:
- Improving the health and well-being of all people;
- Creating an inclusive health care workforce as diverse as the populations we serve;
- Empowering students, faculty, staff, and alumni to create healthier inclusive communities.
As health professionals, it is our duty to respect and uphold the individual dignity of each person receiving our care and attention, without exception. SHP students leave our school and become health care providers for a diverse population. They will take an oath to care for others in need without bias. All students, faculty, and staff of SHP deserve and are called to contribute to an educational experience and a workplace that holds the same promise.
Programming and Resources
Check back for a list of programming for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Join the SHP Student Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
For more information or to be put on the email list, contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org .
TRAVELING Diversity Library
Student Services is currently hosting the library outside of room 106 Lewis Hall.
The TRAVELING Diversity Library is open to all faculty and staff to engage in various topics including age, cultural competency, disability, ethnicity, family role and structure, gender, health, nationality, politics, race, regionality, religion, and socio-economic status. Check out the library contents HERE.
Other Mizzou Resources
For questions, suggestions, or concerns contact the SHP
Diversity & Inclusion Graduate Assistant
Sarah L. Hairston
Office Hours: M & W from 9 am – 3 pm
2017-2019 Diversity and Inclusion Activity:
- The SHP Student Advisory Committee on Diversity & Inclusion developed a working mission statement and action plan to promote more inclusive classrooms.
- Coffee Talk Series I (three sessions) for faculty and staff lead by Dr. Kaleea Lewis focusing on allyship by empowering marginalized voices through inclusive practices.
- Coffee Talk Series II (two sessions) for faculty and staff to discuss and workshop inclusive practices.
- Just Mercy book discussion for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- Created a job description and a search committee for a Director of Admissions Initiatives that will facilitate the development, implementation, and plan for evaluation of strategies and process that lead to the enrollment and retention of an academically talented and diverse student population.
- Conducted a listening tour of current MU programs that promote retention and advancement of underrepresented student populations.
- Promoted inclusion, diversity, and equity touch points at faculty meetings in the Department of Health Sciences and the Physical Therapy Department.
- DHS Committee on Diversity & Inclusion held three meetings.
- Fall Welcome Event – “Diversity Walk” hosted by the Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion.
- Formation of the SHP Student Advisory Committee on Diversity & Inclusion to provide a student perspective.
- Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion hosted six Coffee Talks for faculty and staff on racial literacy and leading difficult dialogues.
- Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Inclusion held two Systems Thinking sessions to narrow focus on SHP diversity and inclusion work.
- The Hate U Give book discussion for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- Microaggressions workshop for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Segregation Mythbuster podcast discussion for faculty, staff, and students hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- DHS Committee on Diversity & Inclusion held four meetings.
- Attended the Shelter Insurance Diversity & Inclusion event.
- Sent representatives to the 2018 Inclusive Impact Institute Gala.
- PUSHOUT book discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- HARVEST OF EMPIRE movie discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Hosted a Traveling Diversity Library move to CDS.
- Hosted five Coffee Talks for faculty and staff on diversity and inclusion topics.
- Hosted a Lunch-n-Learn for faculty and staff on holistic admissions.
- Career Services and Advancement hosted a Student and Alumni event titled “Conversations with Black Healthcare Professionals”
- Developed an Inclusive Excellence plan.
- Central Park Five movie discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- EVICTED book discussion hosted by the DHS Diversity & Inclusion Committee and the student Public Health Club.
- Hosted a Traveling Diversity Library move to OT and PT.
- Celebrated the first SHP Diversity and Inclusion Week.
- Every faculty member was invited to join the Diversity across the Curriculum canvas site for continuing education.
- Developed websites and a newsletter to promote diversity & inclusion at SHP.
- The Office of Inclusion, Diversity & Equity matched funds from the Dean’s Office to hire a graduate research student devoted to improving inclusion and diversity at SHP.
- Unveiled the new SHP Traveling Diversity Library which contains books and movies for the continuing education of faculty and staff.
See SHP’s Diversity & Inclusion Audit for previous actions.
OT Adds Two New Hires
To kick off the 19-20 academic year, the Department of Occupational Therapy added two new members...