An important message for Health Professions students, faculty and staff

Dean Hagglund headshot

June 2, 2020

Dear Health Professions students, faculty and staff,

The ongoing brutality against Black Americans, including the racist video involving a former incoming MU freshman, is appalling and traumatic. The lack of human decency is disgusting. We have zero tolerance for hate, discrimination, or violence of any kind in the School of Health Professions. If you witness or experience discrimination or bias, please report it.

Our mission is to improve the health and well-being of others. This includes addressing long-standing health care disparities and the lack of diversity among health care providers. We will keep striving to reach a time when everyone is safe, supported and respected; is helped to pursue their dreams; has a voice and is understood; and has the opportunity to give the same care and encouragement to others.

I remain personally committed to supporting and lifting up those who are discriminated against and treated inhumanely. I ask each of you to consider how you can also engage in efforts to fight racism at home, at school, at work and in your community.

Finally, I recognize these events are particularly devastating for Black students, faculty and staff, and I want you to know that I am here for you. It’s important to me that you feel welcome and supported in the School of Health Professions. Please let me know when we do not meet that standard. I promise to keep listening and to use my power as Dean to address issues of inequity and injustice.

Sincerely,

Kristofer Hagglund, PhD
Dean, School of Health Professions