Tommy Thomas III Accepts New Position as Diversity Initiatives Coordinator

Starting Oct. 14, Tommy Thomas III will join the SHP community working with programs to develop strategies for a more holistic recruitment and admissions process with the goal of increasing diverse student populations, as well as identifying resources and approaches for retention of students. 

“The Diversity Initiatives Coordinator role is an exceptional opportunity to do great things in SHP, and I am eager to do what I can to serve as many students as possible,” said Thomas. 

Before acquiring this position at SHP, Thomas served as 4-H Youth Field Specialist in Jackson County for the University of Missouri Extension. Thomas has also served as a Project Specialist working with the Student Support Services TRIO program at Avila University. In both of his previous roles, Thomas created programs with a focus on executing effective academic retention strategies for low income, first-generation and under-represented minority students. 

“Mr. Thomas’s skills and experiences make him well-prepared to assist in the development of program-specific strategies for recruiting and retaining high achieving students from underrepresented backgrounds, and I’m looking forward to supporting him in these efforts,” said Dr. Reid-Arndt, Senior Associate Dean. 

Thomas is no stranger to Mizzou. He holds both a B.S. and a M.Ed. from the University and he also has represented Mizzou on the Track and Field team. During his previous time at Mizzou, Thomas worked with the Total Person Program helping to implement “The Student-Athlete of Color Experience” for the university’s Athletic Department. 

“I am extremely excited to begin the next chapter of my career by coming back to Mizzou,” Thomas said. “The School of Health Professions has outstanding departments and programs and I feel this position is a great match with my experience.”