Welcome to the start of another semester at SHP! Everywhere we turn there are excited new faces, energetic and optimistic colleagues, and a community counting on us to pursue our mission of improving the health and well-being of others. What a great time to be a part of this team!

You’ll notice a few changes as we start the semester, most notably with your teams in the dean’s office. The new Office of Administrative Operations is up and running, and the centralized staff in HR, fiscal and administrative support are all now on the 5th floor of Lewis Hall. A complete guide to SHP staff support was sent to your email, and information will also be available online soon.  Also, please take note of our beautiful new landscaping on the 5th Street side of Lewis and in the Lewis/Clark courtyard. Even more improvements are scheduled for this fall. 

In September, I am optimistic that the UM System Board of Curators will vote to approve our new PhD program in Health and Rehabilitation Science. The proposal has been in progress for well over a year, and we’re optimistic that, with the board’s approval, the first cohort of students in the new program will begin next fall.

Watch the SHP Faculty/Staff Newsletter for important upcoming calendar items including an invitation to our annual Pancake Breakfast on Sept. 22, the annual State of the School address October 3, and an opportunity to participate in SHP’s strategic planning process later this fall and in to spring. The participation of faculty and staff in guiding the direction of our school in the coming years is a priority for me and I hope I can count on your input.

I hope you all take a moment today to reflect on your significant contributions to the success of our school. It takes every one of us to provide the excellent teaching, research and service for which we’re known. I appreciate all you do, and wish you a great semester.