Why I Give- Dr. Dana Fritz

I started doing payroll deduction because it was a convenient way to give back to a program I was very proud of – the MU Department of Communication Science and Disorders.  As a beginning professor, it didn’t take me long to see how hard my students were working to become certified and licensed speech-language pathologists.  I want our program to be the best in the state, and I know I can do the work that is asked of me as a teacher to help provide them with a strong foundation, but I want our department to have the best equipment, the best faculty, and the most plentiful scholarship opportunities.  Although what I give monthly seems like a drop in the bucket, it really adds up over time – just like the financial advisors say it will!

I also think it is partially because of the example my parents gave me.  They are fiscally conservative and fairly guarded with money since they grew up during the Great Depression, but they always donated to several causes they felt strongly about.  Since they were not big on throwing money around, I think it made an impression on me when they did open up the pocketbook.

Finally, I think I feel called to give to Mizzou as an alumna.  I felt like my education here was exceptional, and I want our land-grant institution to stay strong, even when our budget keeps getting cut at the state level.  I want the next generations to have the same opportunities I had.

Dana Fritz  PhD, CCC-SLP

For more information on supporting SHP through payroll deduction, visit: http://www.giving.missouri.edu/