Dr. Gibson Receives Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching

Columbia, Mo: Earlier this month, Dr. Kyle Gibson, Teaching Professor and Department Chair of the Physical Therapy Program at the University of Missouri School of Health Professions, received the Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching. The award is given based on effective teaching and advising, service to the university community, commitment to high standards of excellence, and success in nurturing student achievement and is presented to outstanding faculty from participating higher education institutions in the state of Missouri.

In addition to the Governor’s Award, Dr. Gibson is a former winner of The William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence, receiving that honor in 2009. These awards are more than individual accolades to Dr. Gibson, ” I feel like I am being recognized for supporting a culture at SHP that values, celebrates and rewards great teaching, ” says Dr. Gibson, ” this award makes me proud of the whole department and school. Achievements like this are only possible in an environment that gives teachers the tools to strive for excellence.” 

Dr. Gibson was nominated for the award by Dr. Kristofer Hagglund, Dean of the University of Missouri School of Health Professions, “Dr. Gibson displays a commitment to excellence as a professor, department chair, and a clinician,” said Dr. Hagglund,” his dedication to continually furthering his knowledge of and proficiency in his discipline embodies the attitude we attempt to cultivate at SHP.”   

Dr. Gibson credits transparency for his continuing improvement as an educator and leader, ” The most important thing I can do to improve teaching is lead by example,” added Dr. Gbson, ” I can’t settle for good enough. I need to take risks. And I need to do it in the clear view of the students, department, and school.”  

As a Recipient of the award, Dr. Gibson and his wife Rita Gibson were invited to attend a luncheon hosted by Missouri Governor Eric Greitens at Lincoln University in Jefferson City.