SHP Alumni Spotlight: Why I Made a Planned Gift

Elizabeth Fuemmeler graduated from SHP in 1985 with a bachelors degree in Communicative Disorder and met her husband Terry, also an MU graduate, during her time on campus and now has three daughters and three sons-in-law’s that are all MU Alumni. This fall, Elizabeth decided to make a planned gift to SHP. We asked her a few questions about what lead to her decision to make a planned gift.

Q: How did you become aware of planned giving?  

A: Terry and I were creating our estate plan and trust with our attorney and I asked about including a donation for two places that were extra special to me, Mizzou School of Health Professions and the Episcopal Church. We researched what options were available at the University of Missouri and discovered planned giving. The flexibility that planned giving offers made it the best choice for our situation.  

Q: What made you decide to make a planned gift?  

A: The relationship has always remained strong with Mizzou.  Our Mizzou pride runs deep!  We are Lifetime Alumni Association members and Legacy Society members.

The decision was based on wanting to give back to places that have significantly and positively impacted my life and those of my family. I met my husband Terry on campus and our daughters Vicki, Gina, and Alexis all attended MU, along with their husbands.   

Q: What is your relationship with the School of Health Professions?  

A: I have a degree from SHP and our daughters Gina and Alexis are alumnae of the school as well and we wanted to give back to a school that has given us so much.

There are some very special people who work in the School of Health Professions, from the Dean’s Office to the individual departments.  I have served several terms on the SHP Alumni Board, been a mentor for SHP students, and participated in Wheelchair Relay, PT Annual Walk, and attend the NSSHLA annual conference.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish with this gift?

A: If the majority of our MU Alumni would give a planned gift (of any size) to Mizzou or SHP, think of the support we could give back to the university, faculty, and students!  Every alumni member matters, not just big money.  Additionally, I hope this gift motivates others to make a planned gift.

To learn more about planned giving visit www.giving.missouri.edu