Health Sciences student receives job offer after attending career fair

It’s every student’s dream scenario: going to an event and leaving with a job offer. It’s what happened to Faith Laster, a junior studying health sciences, who’s now training to be a pharmacy technician at BioPharma.

“Going in, I didn’t expect to get a job,” Laster said. “Honestly, be prepared.”

Unlike other students, Laster is pursuing a non-clinical route in healthcare and aims to work in health administration. When she approached BioPharma at the SHP Career Fair, they told her they were hiring for a different kind of position. When she informed them that she had her Pharmacy Technician Certification, they pulled her resume out of the pile. BioPharma scheduled an interview with Laster that day, and she accepted their job offer the following week.

Prior to the Career Fair, Laster spent time polishing her resume, gathering information and practicing interview questions with SHP Career Services office.

“If you go talk to them, it makes it a lot easier,” Laster said. “Just talking to everybody around here actually helped me a lot because they actually went over stuff with me that I didn’t think about.”

After graduation, Laster hopes to work in health administration either in a hospital setting or on the research side.