Skip to navigation Skip to content

Respiratory Therapy Alum Gives Back

Earlier this month, the Respiratory Therapy Program at the MU School of Health Professions received an endowed gift from program alumnus, Michael Carr. Carr’s contribution of $25,000 will establish the Michael and Barbara Carr Endowded Scholarship Fund for Respiratory Therapy.    

Michael Carr graduated from the MU School of Health Professions in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Respiratory Therapy. He now lives in Kansas City where he owns and operates the medical oxygen supply company, PURAIR Products.

The gift will result in one or more annual scholarships being awarded to students enrolled in the Respiratory Therapy Program and make SHP degrees more accessible to students that need financial assistance. “I hate the idea of someone not being able to succeed because of money,” said Carr. “Part of what I want to do is open up the possibility of an SHP degree to more students.”

“The generosity of donors like Mr. Carr allows us to reach students who might otherwise be unable to access our program.” said Monica Schibig, Respiratory Therapy Program Director at SHP. Dean Kristofer Hagglund added, “Mr. Carr has always been such a great partner to SHP – serving on our alumni board, inviting students to tour his organization, serving as a mentor in our COMPASS program – this gift is another example of his generosity, and I’m so proud to have him on our team.”

Carr envisions his contribution setting in motion a chain of positive outcomes. “I hope the students who receive the funds will give back when they’re able. That was always a goal of my wife and I, to help someone now like someone helped us then.”